Tuesday 14 July 2015

100 Cols Rest Day 6 St.Claude

After a tough day yesterday (probably the toughest) I was glad we had a rest day today in St. Claude. I was dehydrated after yesterday’s hot climbs of over 3000m. I woke at 2am and then spent the next 2hrs up and down to the toilet. Just awful.
Today is the French national holiday (Federation Day previously referred to as “Bastille Day”). Fortunately after a long sleep in this morning I was feeling much better. So today was about taking it easy. I was going to do a ride to Col de la Faucille which is not far from here and I have visited it before. But just didn’t feel up to riding today. So after a late breakfast I slept for another two hours then managed to get some lunch at the snack bar near the pool at the camp.
The afternoon agenda was also pretty relaxed with a visit to the bar near the camp to have a couple of cokes and watch the TDF as Froomey set a cracking pace up the Col de Soudet. I was interested to see the TV pictures as we had ridden over this col from the opposite direction 3 weeks ago.
Afterwards a walk into town to check out the buildings and the local festivities.
Dinner with 6 other riders at the bar/restaurant (at the campsite) and an early night.
Ken's jumbo parfait
Calum's yoga class
pipes and gem museum

main square St Claude

floral pipe statue

Le "Tilt"
St Claude
St Claude
St Claude
amazing display of pipes
Town Hall
the lads enjoy a beer on the rest day
the French (and other) tourists enjoy a taste of summer

No comments:

Post a Comment