Thursday 18 June 2015

100 Cols Day 7 Brioude to Laroquebrou

This was a particularly testing day on the bike as the weather was filthy. The major climb of the day was the Puy Mary to the Pas de Peyrol at 1600m elevation. The clouds closed in as soon as we left Brioude and they didn’t lift until the final 2 hrs of riding. The climb to Pas de Peyrol was freezing and very steep for the last 2km. It was clouded at the top but there were still some opportunities for photography down in the valleys.
The campsite at Laroquebrou was by a lake. Very pretty
I had an eventful day with a mechanical failure at the 130km mark. My rear drive failed and I could only coast downhill. Couldn’t pedal uphill. The last 20 kms promised to be very slow; walking uphill and coasting down. But the situation improved when another rider Keith arrived on the scene and offered to tow me up the hills using a rubber inner tube attached to his bicycle seat. This was much appreciated and got us into camp just after 630pm dinner time. A quick shower and dinner was appreciated while Ype (mechanic) worked on my bike. The part that was needed (spring clip to hold pawls in place in rear hub) was not in his spares supply, but fortunately my saviour Keith saved me again as he had purchased one before leaving for the trip. So I got moving again saved twice by Keith.
No opportunity to wash and dry all my wet clothes tonight so will have to do the domestics tomorrow. Garmin Connect link here
Vieille-Brioude Cycling by peterjkemp at Garmin Connect - Details
Brioude Ken and Niki negotiate roadworks


cattle on way to Puy Mary



lunch stop prior to climb of  Puy Mary

longhorn cattle
Puy Mary
Puy Mary
heading up Puy Mary

climb of  Puy Mary
clouds roll in on Pas de Peyrol

Pas de Peyrol

Restaurant at Pas de Peyrol
descent from Pas de Peyrol



Keith and I display the inner tune he used to tow me up the final hills

No comments:

Post a Comment